Child hurt as rechargeable mini portable fan explodes

A mother revealed on Facebook that her youngest child was hurt following an explosion involving their rechargeable mini portable fan.

According to Rachelle Salazar, the cooling appliance suddenly exploded in less than 30 minutes of charging. She said their room was immediately filled with smoke.

Luckily, they were still awake when it happened and the explosion did not cause fire. However, her kid sustained a superficial burn when the battery got thrown off the mini portable fan and landed on the child's leg.

The battery was so hot they were not able to touch it. She clarified though that it was not overcharged.

Salazar was thankful that her child was not holding nor using the rechargeable mini portable fan when it exploded or the injury would have been worse.

The terrified mom admitted that she lets her child bring it in school.

Her full Facebook post reads:


Akala q hndi 22o ang post s FB regardng s mini fan n madalas nyong gamitin..tinawanan qp yng nagpost dhil sv q isang malaking kalokohan..ngunit s pagkakataon pong i2 ay mismong kmi po ang naka experience..

Naisipan qng icharge ang rechargeable MINI FAN ng anak qng bunso..pero wla pang 30mins ay nagulat n lng kmi ng bglang may narinig kmi n prang pumutok..akala q kng ano lng yun..pero ng sumunod n pangyayari sumabog n po ang MINI FAN n chinacharge q..{ hindi po i2 na overcharge dhil kakacharge qp lng po }..sobra pong nakakatakot dhil napuno ng usok ang kwarto nmin..buti n lng at gising p kmi ng anak qng panganay..s kasamaan palad po ay s knya tumalsik ang battery kya ayan may paso ang hita nya dahil sobrang init po tlga ng battery n tlgang hndi m basta basta mahahawakan..buti po at yan lng ang ngyari..nagpapasalamat n lng po aq s DYOS at hndi gamit ng anak qng bunso ang MINI FAN n i2 nung time n sumabog..dhil plgi nya po i2ng dala s school..nawa'y maging aral po i2 s ating lahat..

Kaya pls. Wag nyo pong ignore ang post qng i2..Para s kaligtasan ng lahat!..lalong lalo n para s mga anak natin..maraming salamat po..

‪#‎GODisGOODallthetime‬ ‪#‎lessonlearned‬ ‪#‎DONT‬ ‪#‎IGNORE‬ ‪#‎PLEASE"

Reports said there have been similar incidents in the past. According to a source, a video even captured the aftermath of one of the explosions.

The Mini Portable Fan page made a clarification on this, saying:

"Issue on the viral video about exploding fan, sorry to disappoint you, but that is not the fan itself. That's the battery you're using. Buy battery which are already known (Eveready, Energizer, Eneloop, etc.)."

Have you experienced this?