Typhoon Ruby News: December 4, 2014 Update

News updates and forecast on Typhoon Ruby (Hagupit) from state weather bureau PAGASA as of Thursday, December 4, 2014, are posted on this page.

Super Typhoon Ruby

Super Typhoon Ruby has intensified further as it continues to move West Northwest towads eastern Visayas.

At 4 p.m., the eye of Ruby was spotted 720 kilometers East of Surigao City, packing maximum sustained winds of 205 kilometers per hour near the center and gust of up to 240 kph.

The typhoon is forecast to move West Northwest at 15 kph. The chance for it to hit Philippine landmass is 75 percent while the probability that it will "re-curve" towards Japan is only 25%.

Ruby, which has a diameter of 700 kilometers, is expected to cause a 3 to 4 meter storm surge, according to PAGASA.

Public Storm Warning Signal No. 2 (winds of 61-100 kph is expected in at least 24 hrs):
  1. Northern Samar
  2. Eastern Samar
  3. Samar
  4. Biliran
  5. Leyte
  6. Southern Leyte
  7. Dinagat Island
  8. Siargao Island
  • Moderate damage to agriculture
  • Rice and corn adversely affected
  • Few large trees uprooted
  • Large number of nipa and cogon houses partially or totally unroofed
  • Some old galvanized iron roofing may roll off
  • Travel by all types of sea vessels is risky
Signal No. 1 (winds of 30-60 kph is expected in at least 36 hours):
  1. Catanduanes
  2. Albay
  3. Sorsogon
  4. Masbate
  5. Ticao Island
  6. Northern Cebu
  7. Bantayan Island
  8. Camotes Island
  9. Bohol
  10. Surigao del Norte
  11. Surigao del Sur
  12. Camiguin Island
  13. Agusan del Norte
  • Twigs and branches of trees may be broken
  • Banana plants may tilt or land flat on the ground
  • Rice in flowering stage may suffer significant damage
  • Some nipa and cogon houses may be partially unroofed
  • Sea travel of small seacraft and fishing boats is risky
In its bulletin issued at 5 p.m., the weather agency said the etimated rainfall amount is from 7.5 to 20 millimeters per hour (heavy to intense) within the 700-km diameter of the typhoon.

Moderate to heavy rains within 24 to 36 hours are expected over the areas with Public Storm Warning Signals Numbers 2 and 1. Residents in low lying and mountainous areas are advised to be alert against possible flashfloods and landslides. Moreover, those living near coastal areas are alerted against possible storm surges.

Super Typhoon Ruby and the Northeast Monsoon will bring rough to very rough sea conditions over the seaboards of Northern Luzon, eastern seaboard of Central and Southern Luzon, over the seaboards of Visayas and over the northern and eastern seaboards of Mindanao. Fisherfolks and those using small seacraft are advised not to venture out over the said seaboards, PAGASA added.