Electrocuted By Iphone: Tragedy Sparks Apple Investigation

Ma Ailun was allegedly electrocuted by an iPhone while recharging. The 23-year-old victim’s death sparked an investigation by Apple.

iPhone 5
iPhone 5
Citing various reports from police and social media, China’s Xinhua News Agency said Ma collapsed after using her iPhone 5 while it was being charged.

The cause of her death was electrocution, said authorities in the western Xinjiang region, but whether or not her smartphone was involved has yet to be verified.

Experts reportedly said it’s rare that a person gets electrocuted by a mobile phone, even while being recharged, as voltage coming from a USB cord is approximately 6 volts, which is not enough to kill someone.

In an official statement sent to media, Apple expressed sympathy to the victim’s family and said it will conduct an independent probe on the incident.

“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” Apple stated.

Analysts reportedly said it is very likely that the investigation would center on the charger. Although Ma’s sister claimed the original charger was used when the tragic incident happened, it’s possible that the victim utilized one that is incompatible or substandard.

Locally, authorities have warned consumers not to patronize products that are imitations of the original as fakes may cause fire, electrocution, or even death.