Top restaurant Noma sickens 63

Noma, a top restaurant sickens 63 is making headlines as patrons of the “world’s best” eatery were infected with viral gastroenteritis or stomach flu from the food it served between February 12 and 16.

noma
Noma restaurant in Copenhagen
According to CBS News, the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration conducted an investigation on the incident. Morten Lisby, the agency’s spokesperson reportedly described the outbreak that caused vomiting and diarrhea as “massive.”

Peter Kreiner, Noma managing director, apologized for what happened and said earlier tracking of the source of infection is underway.

“Our business is based on having satisfied customers here and we’re incredibly sorry on behalf of our guests,” Kreiner said in a TV interview.

The food safety officials ordered a cleanup and better food handling at Noma, the report stated.

In their website’s latest update, Noma co-owner Rene Redzepi said that based on findings, Norovirus, the winter flu bug was the cause of infection.

The official statement reads:

“At noma, having happy and satisfied guests is paramount to our daily work and lives, and is our number one priority.

Unfortunately during week 7 (February 12th -16th) 2013, there were a number of cases where guests at noma where hit by Norovirus after their visit. It is a matter that deeply affects us all, and that we sincerely regret.

Since receiving the news, we have been working closely with the Danish Food & Drug Administration to find the source of the problem. As a result of our collaboration, we have determined the most likely cause of illness was Norovirus, which may have been brought in by a member of staff, who was symptom-free.

As a precaution the kitchen and restaurant have been deep cleaned several times following Health Inspection guidelines. This has been done on top of the overall cleaning, which takes place several times a day. Finally, all foods from week 7 were destroyed.

We have been in direct contact with all the customers affected.”