SPES 2013 Summer Jobs Now Open - DOLE

2013 summer jobs under SPES are now available, the DOLE said Friday. According to the Department of Labor and Employment, the Special Program for Employment of Students has a budget of P441.50 million to reach the target of 180,000 student-beneficiaries this year.

SPES 2013 Summer Jobs
SPES 2013 Summer Jobs
The SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational/technical students, and out-of-school youth (OSY). It enables poor but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging employment.

Criteria

The following should be met to become eligible to apply:
  • Applicant must be at least 15 to 25 years old;
  • The combined net income after tax of parents, including his/her own income, if any, does not exceed the latest annual regional poverty threshold level for a family of six as determined by the National Economic and Development Authority; and
  • Student-applicant has an average passing grade during last school year/term attended.
Requirements

For qualified OSYs, submit the following to the Public Employment Service Office (PESO) in your locality:
  • Accomplished SPES application form;
  • Copy of birth certificate;
  • Copy of latest income tax return of parents or BIR certification that parents are exempted from income tax payment; and
  • Certificate of good moral character issued by an authorized barangay official from place of residence.
For students:
  • All the requirements stated above; plus
  • Certification by the school registrar bearing the date of last enrolment; and
  • Copy of original class card or Form 138.
Secondary students, DOLE stated, will work for not less than 20 working days but not more 52 working days during summer vacation. Tertiary, technical or vocational education students may work any time of the year, but in no case be less than 20 working days or more than 52 working days within a period of one year.

SPES ‘babies’ are paid a salary or wage not lower than the applicable minimum wage not lower than the prevailing minimum wage rates in the region. The employer will pay 60 percent of the students’ salary or wage, in cash, while the remaining 40 percent shall be paid by the DOLE in the form of educational vouchers.

Labor secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said that in case the student stopped his schooling due to prolonged illness, incapacity, economic necessity and similar causes, the education voucher or equivalent cash may be transferred to his/her brothers, sisters, or any legitimate heirs, as applicable.

According to DOLE, all students under the SPES working in both private and public establishments and entities are insured under the Government Service Insurance System, or GSIS.

Those who are interested to avail of 2013 summer jobs, Baldoz said, must have their documents submitted to the PESO. She added that applicants should also check the country’s PESO network directory.