Gloria Arroyo Attempts To Leave The Country Despite DOJ Watch List Order

After the Supreme Court on Tuesday approved their application for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) on the Watch List Order (WLO) issued by the Department of Justice, former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and her husband, Mike Arroyo, attempted to fly out of the country.

Gloria Arroyo at NAIA
Radio and television reports said that the Arroyos went straight to the departure area of Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 to prepare for their 8:50 flight via Dragon Air for Singapore where the former president is expected to seek medical treatment for her bone ailment.

The ambulance carrying Arroyo, reports said, arrived at the NAIA at around 8:00 PM. She was in a wheelchair and was spotted by members of the media and other spectators wearing a neck brace and a surgical mask that partially covered her face.

Talking to ANC via phonepatch, Elena Bautista-Horn, spokesperson of the Arroyos, revealed that immigration officials prevented the first couple from leaving. They have, as a result, missed their booked flight.

Bautista-Horn added that the Arroyos are determined to leave immediately. She insisted that the couple will fight for their constitutional right to travel.

It was reported earlier that Justice Secretary Leila De Lima instructed the Bureau of Immigration to implement the Watch List Order on the Arroyos pending her receipt of a copy of the TRO.

De Lima reportedly said that once she receives the order, the DOJ will immediately file a motion for reconsideration at the SC.

According to reports, the Arroyos stayed at the airport’s VIP Lounge for several minutes, but, at almost 10 p.m., decided to leave NAIA onboard an ambulance. Reports said the couple proceeded to the St. Lukes Medical Center in Taguig.

During a spontaneous press conference, the Arroyo camp said they are planning to file contempt charges against immigration officials who barred the couple from leaving.

Screenshot from ANC