ZTE USB modems are difficult to install in Windows 7. The problem is either the computer will hang up or suffer a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). Microsoft has a fix for ZTE USB modems to work perfectly with Windows 7.
What to do to fix ZTE USB Modem installation error in Windows 7:
- Plug the ZTE USB Modem to your computer.
- Wait for the modem drivers to install until the computer hangs up. Let it hung up for sometime.
- After say 3 minutes, or when the BSoD already appears, uplug the USB modem and reset the computer.
- Replug the modem but do not click anything related to it, like the icon in the taskbar.
- Instead, do open Control Panel, click System and Security > Check for updates > check ZTE Incorporated - Other Hardware - Mass Storage Filter and then click OK.
- Windows Update will automatically download and install the ZTE modem update.
- Once done with the task, unplug the modem and restart the computer.
- Replug the modem and wait for the installation of ZTE driver updates to finish. Afterwhich, your ZTE Modem will be ready to connect to the internet.
Note: This procedure has been successfully tested with Smart Bro Plug-It ZTE USB Modem.