Fennec, now on its Beta stage, is the most talked-about mobile browser from Mozilla. Fennec is initially available for the Nokia N810 Internet Tablets. If you don't have a N810, do not worry because you can still install it in your desktop for testing purposes.
How to install Fennec on a Nokia N810
1. On your Nokia N810, download Fennec from this web address:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/mozilla-fennec.install2. Open the Application Manager. You should see it listed under the Settings folder.
3. You need to add the Mozilla repository to your list of catalogs. Choose "Application manager > Tools > Application catalog..." from the menu.
4. You should see some application repositories already in the list. You need to add Mozilla's, so press the New button. Here is the information you need to fill into the form so Mozilla's repository is added to the catalog:
- Catalog name: Mozilla
- Web address: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/
- Distribution: chinook
- Components: release
6. You can now Browse installable applications from the main Application Manager window. You can choose All or Internet and Fennec should be listed as an installable application.
7. Choose fennec and press the Install button (at the bottom of the screen). After some dialogs double check your desire to install this non-official software, the application will be downloaded and installed.
8. After a successful installation, you can launch Fennec from the Extras folder.
Tips and Tricks
- to use the full screen for browsing, click the button on the left hand side on top of the device (to the left of the -/+ buttons)
- swipe left to expose back/forward/bookmark buttons and the URL bar; swipe right to dismiss them
- swipe right to expose tabs; swipe left to dismiss them
Note: The desktop version of Fennec is not a supported product. Click here to view the release notes.
Older version: Click here for the Alpha version.
Fennec's desktop version does not offer scrolling. But there is something amazing with this browser. You just click an empty space of the webpage and then drag it in any direction you want. In short, it makes a webpage draggable!
Here's how this blog looks like in Fennec.
Coming up: A guide on how to tweak Fennec.