Here's a how-to article on making an invisible folder. This is very useful if you share your computer or you don't want anyone searching for your personal or important files.
- Create a new folder.
- Right Click -> New -> Folder, a new folder should be created.
- Customize the icon. When it's created, don't rename it just yet. Right Click the New Folder, go to Properties, then to Customize, and then Change Icon. Here is the trick, go to the middle and you should see some blank spaces. Those are transparent icons, select one of those then press OK -> apply -> OK.
- Name your folder. Press rename and instead of the file press ALT+0160(Remember to keep the ALT button pressed down while typing the numbers.)
- You should have finished your new invisible file, Congratulations.
- This is very useful for hide your videos.
- If you have a personal diary on your computer, this is the solution.
- Please use it only for personal.
- You can also do this:
- Right click your icon, file, folder
- Click properties.
- When the window pops up, look on the bottom of the window, and you will see the attributes.
- Checkmark (click) The hidden attribute, and refresh your desktop.
- tada! your icon/file/folder is not there anymore.
- To show your hidden files/fold/icon, double click my computer icon
- Click tools, then folder options.
- When the window pops up, click view on the top tab.
- Then look for the show hidden files and folder.
- And when you have found it, click on show hidden files and folder
- Click apply or ok.
- TADA! your file and folder appeared.
- This method works BETTER with the transparent icons.
- To search for hidden files and folders, with transparent icons and find it.
- Go to start
- When the window pops up, on the side where it says what you want to search for, click all files and folders.
- When the side changes, type in the name of the file/folder/icon.
- Also click the drop down list to the hard disk local drive, and search for it in there.
- After you have done all the steps above, click search.
- After a couple of minutes the search should be done, and the file will show up, in the middle of the window.
- TADA! you have found it.
- To view the searched file(s) click or double click on it.
- This isn't illegal, but use it for personal use.
- You may get in trouble if hidden bad stuff (I'm referring to virus, porn, or something else.)
- This invisible file isn't 100% invisible there are tricky way to search for it.
- You also may only do one invisible file at your desktop, but in that invisible file you can create another.
- If you do not type 0160 in the keypad the file name will not be blank.
Article provided by wikiHow, a collaborative writing project to build the world's largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make an Invisible File. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.