Mall's Giant Christmas Tree Catches Fire

The giant Christmas tree at SM Lanang Premier in Davao City apparently caught fire Wednesday after some Christmas light bulbs allegedly sparked.

Giant Christmas Tree at SM Lanang Premier Catches Fire
Screen grab from Facebook
A photo that shows the atrium filled with smoke coming from the Christmas tree as mall utility and security personnel spray water to put out the fire has gone viral on social media.

According to the Central 911, the fire was caused by electrical short circuit.

In its Facebook page, SM Lanang Premier posted a statement regarding the incident, which reads:

An incident involving our Christmas tree topper in SM Lanang occurred before mall hours. Cleaning & inspection of facilities have been completed to ensure the safety & shopping pleasure of our customers. Mall operations are now back to normal.

SM Lanang Premier is the largest mall in Davao City. It's Christmas tree is said to be over 50 feet tall.

Here's a viral video of the incident: