In his official Twitter account, health assistant secretary Eric Tayag said that a 5-year-old boy from Benguet was infected by the virus and was showing mild symptoms.
Tayag posted the information from DOH secretary Enrique Ona that the new victim had already been sent home and is recovering well.
#DOH Sec Ona confirms second #EV71 HFMD in 5 year old boy from Benguet The Boy has mild symptoms and recovering at home
— Doc Eric Tayag (@erictayagSays) July 31, 2012
Last July 20, the DOH reported that a 1-year-old boy from Davao has been tested positive of the EV-71 virus.
The baby contracted fever and had rashes on the hand, foot, mouth and his buttocks.
The EV-71 found on the victims here is said to be a weaker kind of the virus strain that killed at least 50 children in Cambodia.
|Not an actual photo (Credit: feww.wordpress.com)|